These are unprecedented times in our community and nation. In March 2020, DCI distributed a survey to families to assess their needs during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- More than half of families indicated that support for food and bills/expenses were pressing needs.
- 21% of families said that they do not have Internet at their house.
- 4 in 10 families predicted that they will likely have employment needs in the next week.
- 1 in 4 families predicted that they will likely have housing needs in the next week.
- 51% of families reported that they will likely need educational resources for their children.
- There was a 34 percentage-point increase between families' need for childcare today (15%) versus in one week (49%).
Our families need your help. So far, with assistance from partners and friends, we've distributed food boxes, frozen meals, and gift cards.
But DCI serves over 1,000 families—and the need will not stop today, or tomorrow,
or next week.
Please help support your community and DCI families today:
You can also donate by mail:
- East Durham Children’s Initiative (EDCI) Attn: David Reese, 2101 Angier Ave., 2nd Floor, Durham, NC 27703.
- Checks should be made payable to EDCI. Please include your name, address, email address and phone number so that we may properly acknowledge your generous gift for your tax deduction purposes.
Learn more about donating:
- EDCI is a 501(c)(3) designated organization, and all donations to EDCI are tax deductible.
- For more information on making a contribution or donating stock or services, contact David Reese, President and CEO, at email@example.com.