EDCI is currently seeking applicants to fill an open Bilingual Parent Advocate position.
The Bilingual Parent Advocate role is central to EDCI’s work with elementary school children and families. This full-time, benefits-eligible position will report to the EDCI Parent Advocate Program Manager. The Bilingual Parent Advocate will serve as a link between families, community organizations, and school personnel at East Durham elementary schools.
Primary Scope of Work
The Bilingual Parent Advocate will develop and foster communication between parents, teachers, and students from grades Pre-Kindergarten through 5. The Bilingual Parent Advocate will work closely with parents and caregivers to improve and increase engagement in their children’s education at home and at school. Key responsibilities include case management, program implementation, parent education and support, community service referral, and relationship building with families from diverse backgrounds. The Bilingual Parent Advocate will carry out EDCI and Parent Advocate Program goals and objectives, adhere to EDCI policies and procedures, and perform additional duties as defined by their supervisors and the EDCI leadership team.
- A Master’s degree in social work (MSW), education, or related field and/or equivalent years of experience
- Candidates must be bilingual in English and Spanish and have experience working with the Latino community
- Translation and interpretation skills
- Experience working with low-income families
- Conducting trainings, and/or teaching/tutoring at the elementary school level is highly preferred
- Knowledge of the East Durham community and/or Durham Public Schools system also preferred
- Candidates should be resourceful and knowledgeable of community resources, with a working knowledge of city systems and agencies that support children and families
- Successful candidates will work effectively in a small, fast-paced team environment
- It is essential that candidates for this position possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills, are dedicated to parent and child success, and are committed to the mission of EDCI
- Candidates must also have flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references by email to:
Operations and Financial Services Coordinator
East Durham Children’s Initiative
107 N. Driver Street, 3rd Floor
Durham, NC 27703